Who needs to complete refresher training?
If your food safety Level 2 certificate has expired or it is just about to expire, you are recommended to take a refresher course. This is a half-day course, which demonstrates that you have kept up to date with knowledge of food safety.
All candidates who have taken the CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Safety are recommended to take a refresher course every three years after completion. To take this food safety refresher course, you must provide your original accredited certificate.
We also accept other accredited awarding body certificates as long as they are Ofqual regulated qualifications.
Why is refresher training important?
Food safety regulations and best practice are constantly changing and in order to guarantee safe food to consumers, food business operators must ensure their employees are kept up to date.
- Understand the importance of food safety procedures and reporting and how individuals can take personal responsibility for food safety
- Understand effective personal hygiene practices, their importance in food safety and their role in reducing the risk of contamination
- Understand how working areas are kept clean and hygienic
- Identify the sources and risks to food safety and understand the importance of keeping food safe.
Topics covered on the Food Safety Refresher course
- Food safety and hygiene hazards
- Temperature control
- Cooking, hot holding and reheating
- Refrigeration, chilling and cold holding
- Food handling
- Principles of safe food storage
- Food premises and equipment
- Duration: Half-day programme (3 hours)
- Assessment: Multiple-choice examination (30 questions with 20 correct to pass)
- Ofqual accredited: No
- Prerequisite: CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Safety
- Price includes: Light refreshments, exam fees and the CIEH food safety refresher certificate of award on passing
All candidates will have to show some form of photographic ID on the day of course, e.g. a passport or ID card.
Three hour training session. Candidates will have to take the refresher exam at the end of the course.
Results will not be processed without evidence of prior successful completion of an accredited Level 2 Award in Food Safety course. For this you will have to produce your original Ofqual accredited certificate such as the CIEH or RSPH certificate etc.
CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Safety refresher training is available for Catering, Retail and Manufacturing.